● Investigate the response of Red Sea microphytoplankton communities (biomass and composition) to dust inputs from the surrounding deserts through incubation experiments during different seasonal cycles
● Assess the biomass and viability of microphytoplankton communities in the bathypelagic Red Sea using a recently developed oceanographic device, the bottle-net and as well as traditional methods (microscopy)
● Understanding long-term patterns of marine plankton: abundance, distribution and seasonal cycles
● Studying marine food chains (trophic interactions), marine community structuring and functioning
● Discovery and characterization of viable phytoplankton assemblages in the bathypelagic, oligotrophic Red Sea.
Marine Ecology, Plankton Ecology, Marine Mammal Ecology